Douglas Muth on 20 Apr 2010 07:40:04 -0700

Re: [PLUG] BEST way to move all contents from one server to another

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Tim Allen <flipper@peregrinesalon.com> wrote:
> All contents? You have to be careful there (probably don't want to try
> moving /sbin, /root, or /bin, for instance), but I think what you're
> looking for is rsync:

I agree, rsync is probably the best tool for the job, especially since
it will let you resume an aborted transfer, transfer files that have
had their contents updated since the last transfer, etc.

On a related topic, something I've started doing whenever I set up a
server is to create a directory called /data, and place all of my
files in there. If I have a config file hanging in out in /etc/ that I
can't move, I'll instead symlink it to a copy in /data/etc/ or (next
best) create an RCS directory in /data/etc/RCS/, and symlink /etc/RCS/
to that directory.  That makes backups simple, since I only have one
directory to back up. (I ensure that MySQL dumps are written to
/data/mysql-backups/)

Does anyone else take that approach for server/file management, or is
it just me? :-)

-- Doug
http://twitter.com/dmuth