jeff on 20 Apr 2010 16:46:02 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Virtualization on Linux

JP Vossen wrote:
> What does everyone else use?  Anyone use or like any of the "helper"
> apps?  Any other comments?

Yeah, stop grepping yourself in public.

I'm a real hardhead (no, really?).  Since I didn't know anything about
Vm Wks or Server, I just followed some directions to get things
operating under the uber-simple VMplayer.

I have been using Player to run XP forever.  It barely registers on the
CPU (until XP starts crunching).  Works on all platforms but obviously
more stable under linux.  Even works on my laptop, where I assign 256M
to XP and it will run without serious complaint (you'll probably need
more though).

You can install from a cd or ISO file. Requires qemu or other utility to
create the `hard drives' and a .vmx (config) file.

Happy to post examples if anybody needs one.

--
ThermionicEmissions  -  the blog
http://www.lockergnome.com/leftystrat