Eric H. Johnson on 22 Apr 2010 18:59:44 -0700

Re: [PLUG] OS Web Picture Slide Show

Brian,

What about using a CMS that has slideshow and authentication features?
Drupal (http://www.drupal.org) for example has these features. I am pretty
sure Joomla does too, but I have not used it. On Ubuntu, Drupal can be
installed as easily as:

sudo apt-get install drupal6

Which will basically setup everything including the mysql database. Download
a couple modules and perhaps a theme, point a browser at it and do a quick
configuration. The whole thing could be done in a couple hours, although if
it is the first time using Drupal, there will be a small learning curve.

If standard authentication is not sufficient, as it does send passwords as
clear text, there is a secure login module which will redirect login,
registration, etc. over ssl. There are also several slideshow modules from
which to choose.

HTH,
Eric

Not wanting to reinvent the wheel, can anybody recommend a secure open
source web based picture slide show? I would like it to have some
authentication, and of course be pretty :-).