Michael Leone on 3 May 2010 04:30:35 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Problems using multiple Samba servers in a Win2003 AD domain - more

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 5:08 AM, Stephen Gran <steve@lobefin.net> wrote:
> On Sun, May 02, 2010 at 11:32:16PM -0400, Mike Leone said:
>> Is this the reason I can't mount? Shouldn't the group IDs be equivalent
>> on both Samba servers, especially since the smb.confs have the same
>> settings?
>
> If you use winbind for NSS, it will look up users and groups
> opportunistically, make up a uid/gid for them as it goes, and cache the
> results so they remain consistent, but only consistent on that one
> machine.

AH. OK, then, that explains that.

> If you want consistent results across the network, use nss_ldap pointed
> at your AD server(s).  You'll need the SFU schema applied, but it sounds
> like you've done that.

Yes, I have applied the SFU schema extensions. But do I *need* to
configure nss_ldap, in order for one Samba server to mount shares on
another Samba server? Is that a requirement, in order for my Linux
laptop to mount a Samba share from my Linux desktop? I find LDAP to be
very confusing, whether it's doing lookups on Windows or whatever.

I'm not interested in consistent mappings, unless that's required for
me to mount Samba shares from another Samba server. :-)

Thanks