Chad Waters on 7 May 2010 18:22:54 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Help with Cisco 2520 Router

> I find them a little obtuse, however, since I know so little about them and
> they have funny connectors on them.   Could somebody help me confirm/refute my
> suppositions about them?
>
> 1.  You can only log into them in command mode through an RS-232 interface.
> This helps prevent them from being hacked since there is no command interface
> available through the network.

You should be able ssh or at least telnet to it.

> 2.  They use goofy connectors to hook up with "enterprise-class" connectors on
> Telephone network equipment.   That's why I've never seen these weird multi-
> prong connectors.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/2500/2520/software/user/guide/c2520ovr.html
Replace "enterprise-class" with "antiquated". Looks like its ISDN.

> 3.  They separate the "switch" from the "router", unlike home routers, so this
> is why there is only a single Ethernet port on it.

This model is a router, but most cisco switches can route.

Chad