Conor Schaefer on 19 May 2010 09:09:41 -0700

Re: [PLUG] [plug-announce] PLUG West, Mon, May 17, 2010 - Gentoo Linux: Building a Better World...from Source! (7pm @ FIS in Malvern)

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 11:56 AM, Richard Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
On 05/14/2010 11:54 PM, Paul L. Snyder wrote:

> This month we welcome Gentoo developer Richard Freeman for a talk
> on Gentoo Linux.  He will be giving a general intro to Gentoo,
> incorporating some of what has been raised at previous meetings
> about Gentoo and will also include some more advanced topics is
> such as how ebuilds work and about running Gentoo on production
> servers.

Slides from the meeting can be found at:

http://dev.gentoo.org/~rich0/IntroGentoo.odp

You can find a bunch of other presentations at:

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/pr/docs/presentation-listing.xml

Many thanks to all who turned out and contributed to the discussion,
regardless of whether you helped found the Open Source movement or not.  :)

As an aside - there was some discussion around the scp permissions issue
that was on the list a week or two ago.  Here is what we found during
our live experiments:

Scp with the -p option sets the permissions on the destination file the
same as the source file.
I was not at the meeting on Monday, but I did follow the scp discussion closely. I'm often at a loss as to why folks would use scp instead of rsync over ssh, especially when tight permission control is desired. The -a flag on rsync will preserve all group and owner permissions to the host (provided that use and/or group exists on the host, of course), and preserve timestamps as well. Read the manpage for more fine-grained control.

If there's a benefit to using scp over rsync with ssh, please do share, as I'm always open to learning new methods.

Scp without the -p option sets the permissions on the destination file
according to the result of the bitwise operation source-perms AND NOT
remote-umask.  The remote umask is whatever it ends up being based on
the behavior of the remote sshd, but keep in mind that openssh does end
up executing your shell before it runs the process to create the file on
the remote end, and that usually means .bashrc/etc are run.

Rich