Richard Freeman on 19 May 2010 09:58:34 -0700

Re: [PLUG] [plug-announce] PLUG West, Mon, May 17, 2010 - Gentoo Linux: Building a Better World...from Source! (7pm @ FIS in Malvern)

On 05/19/2010 12:09 PM, Conor Schaefer wrote:
> I was not at the meeting on Monday, but I did follow the scp discussion
> closely. I'm often at a loss as to why folks would use scp instead of
> rsync over ssh, especially when tight permission control is desired. The
> -a flag on rsync will preserve all group and owner permissions to the
> host (provided that use and/or group exists on the host, of course), and
> preserve timestamps as well. Read the manpage for more fine-grained control.

I think that in this case they want the opposite.

They want the new files to end up with a given set of groups and
permission bits, regardless of what client or client settings the user
is using.

They DON'T want the user to be able to manage the permissions.

Rich