Conor Schaefer on 19 May 2010 09:23:35 -0700

Re: [PLUG] (OT) Philadelphia Wireless

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Kyle Winfree <kyle.winfree@gmail.com> wrote:
At the Easttown library, they offer training on the windows machines as another source of funding the library.  I hate to admit it, but most people who would be getting training on how to use windows with the goal of listing on their resume would actually benefit more from learning windows instead of gnu-linux.  Basic use of gnu-linux is such a specialized skill I'm not sure it really helps anyone's resume.  Intermediate/advanced use is certainly another story though.
Kyle

Totally agree. I do a lot of this type of work, and although I use only Linux machines of various types at home (with the exception of a triple-boot MacBook Pro, which I keep around so my options are open in terms of software selection), I do a lot of instruction in computer literacy, and teaching people with low fundamental computer skills how to navigate in a non-Microsoft environment is of absolutely no benefit to them, and would very likely actually handicap their performance on a job.

Libraries definitely need access to better resources, but that takes funding and a lot of volunteer time. Any bored sysadmins would have to be comfortable administering a Windows environment if they're really going to benefit the libraries and their communities in any measurable way.

On 05/19/2010 12:09 PM, Edmond Rodriguez wrote:
Back on topic maybe?

I've used library services at times and it was helpful, but the imposed time limits have always been frustrating when I did so.   I always wondered why they didn't get more machines and increase their time limits.   Machine Cost? Space? MS Windows cost?   As far as Windows cost, why not run Linux instead (though maybe they get their Windows for free).   Or at least have some Linux machines available for those that don't mind using it.

From: Conor Schaefer <conor.schaefer@gmail.com>
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Wed, May 19, 2010 11:54:34 AM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] (OT) Philadelphia Wireless

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 10:54 AM, jeff <jeffv@op.net> wrote:
> "The city said the purchase will be the first in a series of steps to
> create a wireless network it will use to enhance public safety,
> improve government efficiency

that's just creepy (to me).

Such a conversation may be off-topic for this list, but personally I'm in favor of such a program. I work with a large number of individuals who are not in a position to subscribe to an ISP at home, and libraries have limited capabilities in serving communities' needs for access to digital information. Libraries are certainly an excellent resources, though, and I think that city-wide wifi should supplement library access, not replace it.

If you're concerned about privacy with public wifi, private ISPs are certainly a great option, though hardly protection for your browsing habits, as governmental agencies can relatively easily request IP logs and similar information. HTTPS implementations are broadening rapidly, with even Google announcing that basic Google searches will have an HTTPS option in the near future.