Art Alexion on 20 May 2010 04:10:16 -0700

Re: [PLUG] (OT) Philadelphia Wireless

On Wednesday 19 May 2010 11:54:34 Conor Schaefer wrote:
> Such a conversation may be off-topic for this list, but personally I'm in
> favor of such a program. I work with a large number of individuals who are
> not in a position to subscribe to an ISP at home, and libraries have
> limited capabilities in serving communities' needs for access to digital
> information. Libraries are certainly an excellent resources, though, and I
> think that city-wide wifi should supplement library access, not replace
> it.

It may be an idea whose time has passed with more non-businesspeople buying
"smartphones", and relatively cheap WiMax.  I taught in a college without
walls type degree program in West Kensington the semester which just passed,
and only one of my students had a computer with Internet access.  Nonetheless,
all were able to download their assignments and submit their homework on line
via their cell phones.  Sprint is releasing a WiMax enabled Android based
phone on June 4th that can be tethered.

--
Art Alexion