Art Alexion on 20 May 2010 04:18:39 -0700

Re: [PLUG] (OT) Philadelphia Wireless

On Wednesday 19 May 2010 12:09:54 Edmond Rodriguez wrote:
> MS Windows cost?   As far as Windows cost, why not run Linux instead
> (though maybe they get their Windows for free).   Or at least have some
> Linux machines available for those that don't mind using it.

"Charity" pricing for Windows is about $60.  Maybe cheaper for libraries. Office
is about $65.  MS used to argue that paying for Windows was cheaper than free
Linux because competent Linux administrators cost more.  I never believed that
was true as concerned most for-profit enterprises, but with charity pricing,
that may be true.  I am sure it is easier for libraries to find someone with a
clue about Windows than someone with Linux experience.  Same goes for the
librarians who need to provide user help.

Training grants for librarians and teachers to learn Linux is probably the
only way to overcome that.

--
Art Alexion