Edmond Rodriguez on 13 Jun 2010 07:37:13 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Wine usb support (scanner)

>I'd be reluctant to spawn that other OS as root.
>If you want USB support and wine-like integration, try virtualbox in
>seamless mode.

This was a good idea. Thanks.

The USB part was a struggle, which I mostly solved.   Not sure if anyone is interested, but I thought I would post some activity.

I tried opening up all permission in /proc/bus/usb....   VB showed my usb device, but greyed out.

Finally saw this posting:
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/705
which I found from: http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?p=11262&sid=334fb962995ae00d32bb8988192f701c (Greyed-out USB devices (WinXP guest, F7-x86_64 host)

One issue I was having was with permissions with /dev/vboxdrv
It would have been a while (even after a long while already) before I ever looked over there!

Inspired by the above links, I did a temporary easy (but very open) fix (ignoring group id's).

mount -t usbfs -o remount  /proc/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb   (I'm not entirely sure what is going with the device and dir having the same name)

chmod -R g+w,o+w /proc/bus/usb
chmod g+r,g+w,o+r,o+w /dev/vboxdrv

If I pull the usb cable, I have to quit VB, do another remount, and reset permission to get a good connection again (not greyed out).