Stephanie Alarcon on 14 Jul 2010 06:07:44 -0700

Re: [PLUG] really dumb ubuntu question

  • From: Stephanie Alarcon <steph.alarcon@gmail.com>
  • To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] really dumb ubuntu question
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 09:05:16 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from :user-agent:mime-version:to:subject:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=d/M6umQguqrd0i6twT6MlMxWmdXvEICgLmhglnV4ofk=; b=QzR3ylG7JZJ9TYsfJICapHAYXG/Nq/EAlx6eOXt/97aY86zQS8b5RMf2plyWfaLpj9 IgsI8oaFKpIZeFMZ+TYG6ruHn/Eot0XyyNeWFMcKzvCnX13Q/SJ8QfPNk1y1J3fqkBh7 TT2C+nfK9wmxaURrsQXKp3L/MfE6y6MmIQUWo=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

For those following along at home:

Yeah, done and done.  From root's history it looks like I actually
deleted the whole wireless directory from out of the collection of
kernel modules.  That's kind of good news, because it should mean that
she can just reinstall the driver packages and be on her way.  The
history also showed that it was an ipw2200 driver, so I think the fix is
close at hand. Also, I have a dear friend and geek near her who is ready and able to be physically dispatched to help, which is totally above and beyond.

Also, the "firewall by mac" suggestion is totally reasonable, but the comment about allowed use in front of parents was right on. Also, they have a Verizon branded FIOS 2-in-1 thingy. I think I glanced at the interface, rolled my eyes, and moved on. That, or I just wanted to deal with machine itself.

Not the most elegant hack, but it allowed her to keep root access in case she wanted to play or install things, and I felt like if she figured it out, she deserved to have access in her room. Her parents sort of agreed.