Edmond Rodriguez on 13 Jul 2010 15:08:48 -0700

Re: [PLUG] really dumb ubuntu question

  • From: Edmond Rodriguez <erodrig97.list@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] really dumb ubuntu question
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 18:08:41 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=K3ea9+8UensJqLZ1xuxEHggVPdyJ266iHQgg9FGcOcs=; b=CJaJ3agbnZuXStqaHjCnB2XOaWgx6nlNfV4nAjNY/UEP1c6TvhggWPRugHaBchZKky otcyqPJ1acWF+j/33IL+fLXfH1Iz7xAjFTbI8sH6G1XqBIn3Lds6xL3ufffOx778Uz9Z fuJ9zUAy3eAqDtMzTNfHUsqofusWnmwOdgWko=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

Perhaps someone already said this, but why not see if the person can get wired
with an Ethernet cable, then just remote in or use a reverse shell to get access
and fix the problem.  That way you can hack a little and figure out what you did
maybe.  Of course, one has to time such an event so both parties are available.

Edmond

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 4:51 PM, Chris Nehren <c.nehren/plug@shadowcat.co.uk> wrote:
On Jul 13, 2010, at 3:38 PM, Lee Marzke wrote:

> Even better,  put a rules on the house firewall about what PC's are allowed Internet access
> ( and what hours ),   usually implemented by MAC address,   then this problem wouldn't
> have occurred.

I was going to suggest this, but presumably since the machine is now at a writer's camp it's portable--thus perhaps outright blocking it constantly would be undesired (e.g., usage in sight of parents should be allowed).

> Endian UTM, which I'm talking about tonight at PLUG North has this feature.

++ for working in a mention of your talk tonight. Well-done. :D

--
Thanks and best regards,
Chris Nehren