Art Clemons on 14 Jul 2010 17:26:36 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Laptop recovery--useful data to collect?--A tangent

The more this discussion goes on, the more I realize that there are
talks at the meetings to be made out of this discussion.  For example
what are the downsides to encrypting an entire disk?  What happens if
for example shutdown is improperly done and a partition needs the
service of FSCK or some similar technique?  I know there are answers out
there, but obviously most of the folks on this list don't readily know
them.

My last experiment with truecrypting an entire partition ended in
disaster, but fortunately I had all relevant data backed up so it was
just a reinstall.  I couldn't escape the impression though that if I had
known more, the reinstall could have been avoided.  Thus if any of you
like JP actually has the experience, the suggestion is obvious.