Lee Marzke on 14 Jul 2010 17:59:40 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Laptop recovery--useful data to collect?--A tangent

The more this discussion goes on, the more I realize that there are
talks at the meetings to be made out of this discussion.  For example
what are the downsides to encrypting an entire disk?  What happens if
for example shutdown is improperly done and a partition needs the
service of FSCK or some similar technique?  I know there are answers out
there, but obviously most of the folks on this list don't readily know
them.
Well for Ubuntu 10.04, you just boot from the CD rescue partition,  and
then open the encrypted LVM,  and fsck the disk.  You may have to manually
search for the proper lvm device names ( lvscan, lvmdiskscan, vgscan, etc )

You can also backup and entire encrypted LVM encrypted partition via
CloneZilla in it's encrypted form ( that was JP's advice a while back ), and
restore as long as you have the space avaiable somewhere.

Lee
begin:vcard
fn:Lee Marzke
n:Marzke;Lee