Kyle R. Burton on 20 Jul 2010 06:19:22 -0700

[PLUG] Request for help: linux-ha experience?

  • From: "Kyle R. Burton" <kyle.burton@gmail.com>
  • To: PLUG <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: [PLUG] Request for help: linux-ha experience?
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 09:19:17 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:date:message-id :subject:from:to:content-type; bh=SnHHfUCkPz4hi8eUGo6pqkdrQWLk9UtpqqRzFXek1Ps=; b=FJHwdqrxyT1/20KAdnUKrf6GowiJ3/ZHsvzvAeJhG5/mBoxeu7YyhowUgQijlzjVfg fgUjLFKTLIPtXl8Kp1HJzdSQtoLBOLfiTWLdh2CCZMbIYI4b3qrv22CsIcQQW+59xzPS 0cEedu9hkmLwc7kkRu68dreQm6x8HfMtSyjjo=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

I'm going through setting up linux-ha for the first time and some
things aren't clear to me.  I've been reading through the associated
documentation (clusters from scratch, configuration explained,
crm_fencing) but some things aren't clear to me.  Would anyone be
willing to lend some of their experiences, help describe some things
and act as a sounding board?

As for where I've gotten to: I have corosync and pacemaker configured
and I have a managed vip (using IPaddr2) that will fail over between
two boxes.  I also have postgres set up on the 2 boxes in a master +
hot slave configuration (PITR and streaming replication).  What I am
confused about is how to achieve the fail over for the database itself
(shut of the master, stonith it if necessary, touch the postgres
trigger file on the slave to activate it as the master and then take
the virtual ip).  The exiting ocf scripts look like they're intended
to manage the resource via start / stop - in my case I want it to be
asymmetrical and for them both to be up, but trigger specific behavior
in the event that a fault is detected.

Has anyone set anything like this up before that would be willing to mentor me?

Thanks,

Kyle

--
Twitter: @kyleburton