Edmond Rodriguez on 23 Jul 2010 08:22:12 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Email/web large file transfer software or appliance

  • From: Edmond Rodriguez <erodrig97.list@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Email/web large file transfer software or appliance
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 11:22:06 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=Ye1V+bzb+ypOcnmVjnw9biTtp0ZPVASdEHPJqay7PTQ=; b=NTlWvgnBLFEki3vZ5l3qw5mZ9eNdQKiycPgGS/gyypLyaU0h2QL/RYI0CGJn1RHx4h y/gAZjmxaJFv3dXQsvVqaRBGU5IdIw/3wKRWCE63alXS7qBPQ/v2Yv6Ef7ywKy5ZD6xD V5F0t9M8NG73GCcFzbZgvfpr4a4R5vcGSoU5o=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 10:59 AM, Lee Marzke <lee@marzke.net> wrote:
> I have a non-technical SMB client that wants to email large files > 10Mb
> and most recipients won't accept this.
>
> Is there some open-source software or appliance that will do something like:
>
> Accept the email via local SMTP and forward email ( and a FTP link )
> to the file to the recipient.
>
> I though there was a VMware VMTN appliance for this, but I can't find it.
>
> This is to avoid him having to upload to FTP and manually create a link
> which I think he would have trouble doing.
>
> Lee
>
> --
> "Between subtle shading and the absence of light lies the nuance of
> iqlusion..."  - Kryptos
>
> Lee Marzke,  lee@marzke.net   http://marzke.net/lee/
> IT Consultant, VMware, VCenter, SAN storage, infrastructure, SW CM

How about http://drop.io ?  It is also integrated with Yahoo's web
mail (all new beta), but it
appears you can go directly to drop.io and make a drop.  I used it once, and
thought there was little security (ie no password for the recipient to get a
file).  I read an article that mentioned it was the needle in a haystack idea,
that an unauthorized person has to "find" a file and the odd bucket it
is in,  before looking at it, which is unlikely.

Today I looked at the URL above, and it looks like they do have some guest
password options.