[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
Re: [PLUG] hosting at home- handling dns
- From: Conor Schaefer <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [PLUG] hosting at home- handling dns
- Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 12:33:00 -0400
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=R+UsVZuqzWE8RuBEO+T/cJGIMC59vC2y4J992H0B+i4=; b=bmVcH/07hBezdyXnZUkwdj+VjCXI7m1HlUaYs5aJeNUYvAOF5qnLVxCg8SplP6iDLz BfCftDy+ANgqFjX5MJY9H9+JLSSz9XHgAr8Gopuz8pW4vB3iINShnS6F+mF/WDd7T2j+ yMXQnyOWi4U0/KsQChlrX1+cJSVRnIDqA/ow4=
- Reply-to: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: email@example.com
May I recommend http://prgmr.com/xen/?
Something for everyone. Xen VPS. Ubuntu 10.04 Server is an option.
On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 10:45 AM, Claude M. Schrader <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On 15:00 Sat 07 Aug Â Â , Ron Kaye Jr wrote:
> Â Âany of you folks host a web site at home?
> Â Âi will purchase RonaldKaye.com this weekend
> Â Âi have verizon dsl, which appears to nat my 192.168.1 network to a valid
> Â Âverizon address.
> Â Âdo i setup some kind of dynamic dns?
> Â ÂRon Kaye Jr
another option is to purchase a cheap VPS somewhere. I spend around
$20/month on a VPS from linode.com. It gives me full root access,
enough storage and BW for my modest needs, and they seem to have good
support and relibility so far. It is a new monthly expense, but can save you a
lot of hassle from hardware and DSL problems. It is also easy to clone the
VPS and start over if you blow it up!
Philadelphia Linux Users Group -- http://www.phillylinux.org
Announcements - http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-announce
General Discussion -- http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug