Joe Kisela on 18 Aug 2010 16:11:39 -0700

[PLUG] X11 basics.

  • From: Joe Kisela <jkisela@gmail.com>
  • To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
  • Subject: [PLUG] X11 basics.
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 19:11:34 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:date:message-id :subject:from:to:content-type; bh=msGx2QH1VcqXUJ0CFbEGAvSjx/9iZJIxh9Pcbd9cKVM=; b=f4WwfQ5tOzDb+MriWvsMh7wA3d88ceGA0DX+1U8pW7Uw2aBmrKAyF1tRD+Ct3VksKd kVkrXWCXzxOgdBj5q5ljU7xqk3p+PW+Js6K73dIFZ1W5r6nri7ih6QTkB05dqhNnoRnZ k5ymnR1rq9nZTuQnkyAPGoMAIOEeahY/POCZU=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

> I just ssh -X from a laptop and the installer displays on the laptop.  I
> have found out from past experie thinknce that if you use DBCA (Database
> Creation Assistant it fails over SSH.  It still wants to use old way
> (export DISPLAY=laptopip:0.0)

>Why should there EVER be a GUI on a server?  Why should GUI cruft even
>live on the server's disk?

Well, you need to remember that for X11, "Client" and "Server" are the opposite of what you would normally expect.

You don't need to be running X on a dbserver to run remote X apps, where you export DISPLAY (or ssh -X) , run a remote X11 CLIENT program that displays on your local X11 SERVER.  X11 does not need to be running on the box that you are telnet'd/ssh'd into.

It should also be noted that the -X option has been disabled by default in sshd since Theo deRaadt got rooted on an exploit.  You need to enable it in your sshd config on the server you are trying to ssh to.

As for the Ubuntu guys breaking POSIX compliance - I have a large list of issues with a lot of "helpful" things that Ubuntu has done.  I won't get into it.  It's pointless, people like to reinvent wheels.