John Karr on 18 Aug 2010 19:01:15 -0700

Re: [PLUG] pls recommend a text editor

  • From: "John Karr" <brainbuz@brainbuz.org>
  • To: "'Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List'" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] pls recommend a text editor
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 21:59:48 -0400
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

Notepad++

Is GPL and Windows Native. It even runs well on wine, except for one major bug, if a file it has open changes on the disk it freezes and needs to be killed with kill.

On Linux Gedit is actually pretty good, Kate is OK. Of course there’s Notepad++. If you happen to be editing Perl scripts I recommend Padre, which is unfortunately still buggy.