JP Vossen on 19 Aug 2010 01:11:08 -0700

[PLUG] %s vs. %S in Firefox "Quick Searches"

By now we're probably all familiar with Firefox "Quick Searches", but I just learned something new and solved a problem that was really annoying me.

I had a quick search:
	Name: CVS
	Location: http://my.cvs.server.example.com/viewvc/%s
	Tags:
	Keyword: cvs
CVS path

So I can type "cvs foo/bar" and that used to get turned into
"http://my.cvs.server.example.com/viewvc/foo/bar"; and open up my
revision history.  Some fairly recent FF update broke that, and I
started getting "http://my.cvs.server.example.com/viewvc/foo%2fbar";
(note %2f) which did NOT work.

Turns out now:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Using_keyword_searches
[...]
Difference between (small s) %s and (Capital S) %S

   1. (small s): %s will have additional substitution replacements: # by
%23, % by %25, / by %2F, and @ by %40.
   2. (Capital S): %S will not have substitutions and allow use of C++
in a Google search, allow use of @ in an email substitution, allow use
of a fragment-id in a url substitution index.html#example2, and use of a
directory as in code/example2.txt.
[...]

So changing from %s to %S fixed my problem.  Grrrrrr.

Some other handy ones I have (not tested for this new %s/%S thing) are:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%s
http://perldoc.perl.org/search.html?q=%s
http://search.cpan.org/search?query=%s&mode=all
http://www.imdb.com/find?q=%s;s=all
http://packages.debian.org/%s
http://www.netflix.com/Search?v1=%s&search_submit.x=0&search_submit.y=0
http://www.bugmenot.com/view.php?url=%2
http://www.google.com/trends?q=%s
http://www.google.com/linux?num=30&hl=en&lr=lang_en&q=%s&btnG=Search

If quick searches (AKA keyword searches) are new to you, read:
	http://kb.mozillazine.org/Using_keyword_searches
	http://kb.mozillazine.org/List_of_keyword_searches

Later,
JP