JP Vossen on 19 Aug 2010 01:10:06 -0700

Re: [PLUG] pls recommend a text editor

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 21:59:48 -0400
From: "John Karr"<brainbuz@brainbuz.org>

Notepad++

+1 for Notepad++ on Windows.

Is GPL and Windows Native. It even runs well on wine, except for one major
bug, if a file it has open changes on the disk it freezes and needs to be
killed with kill.

I haven't tried N++ under Wine, but that bug would be a show stopper for me.

On Linux (if not using vim) I use a tweaked Gedit [1] or Geany, both of which (IIRC) use Scintilla [2], which is the basic editing widget also used by Notepad++. There's also scite, which uses Scintilla too and which I just noticed is cross-platform. Using Scintilla under the covers doesn't mean they are identical, but they are pretty close.

FWIW, the way I usually approach questions like this is to see what's in the Ubuntu repos, find something I like, then see if there is a Windows port (if needed). This works pretty well:
	apt-cache search <keyword> | sort | less
	apt-cache show <package>

See also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SciTE
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notepad%2B%2B
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_text_editors
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_text_editors

___________________
[1] For gedit, I use gedit_tabpgupdown.tar.gz so you can switch tabs using CTRL-PgUp/PgDn. I still haven't figured out how to make it spell-check by default though. And make sure you install 'gedit-plugins' and then check out Edit > Prefs > Plugins.

Getting gedit_tabpgupdown to work is tedious:
## See http://live.gnome.org/Gedit/Plugins
$ wget -O '/tmp/gedit_tabpgupdown.tar.gz' 'http://live.gnome.org/Gedit/Plugins?action=gedit_AttachFile&do=get&target=tabpgupdown.tar.gz'
$ mkdir -p ~/.gnome2/gedit/plugins && cd $_
$ tar --strip-components=1 -xvzf /tmp/gedit_tabpgupdown.tar.gz
## (Re-)start gedit, Edit > Prefs > Plugins: enable TabPgUpDown

[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintilla_%28editing_component%29

Later,
JP