Richard Freeman on 22 Aug 2010 17:09:43 -0700

Re: [PLUG] mounting filesystems.

On 08/22/2010 04:29 AM, sean finney wrote:
On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 09:34:56PM -0400, Art Alexion wrote:
The benefit of uuid in fstab is that if you move drives during adding or
removing drives they will continue to obey the previously defined mount
points even if they change from, say, sdb to sda.

or in a kernel upgrade where the order of probing devices changed, or the
device naming scheme changed, which would otherwise be a major pain.

I can't stress how useful this has been over the last few years! A recent kernel upgrade moved IDE HDs into the same module as SATA, and now my /dev/hd* are /dev/sd*. No problems though, since I never refer to those devices directly (granted, most of it is over raid as well, and that autoscans).

I use encrypted swap, and the first step there is to attach a loopback on a device and do a mkswap on it. Now, just imagine what would happen if that device suddenly pointed to something important?

Rich