Casey Bralla on 27 Aug 2010 14:33:05 -0700

[PLUG] Found: Free Inbound Fax Service?

I tried the eFax service that Chris recommended.  it is free, but sends you
the fax in a proprietary format that requires a special windows-only program
to view.  (I presume it includes advertising).

I did find K7.net, however, which is truly free inbound and sends the file as
a tif format.

They also offer voicemail, which is recorded and sent to you via eMail.

I'm not sure how they pay the phone bill.  Maybe through a kickback from the
phone company because there is no local phone number?

The only downside to K7 is they reassign your number if you don't use it for
30 days.

On Friday 27 August 2010 14:54:17 JP Vossen wrote:
> > Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 19:18:44 -0400
> > From: Chris Nehren<c.nehren/plug@shadowcat.co.uk>
> >
> > Because VoIP and faxes don't play well together. A simple Google of
> > the two terms provides many hits explaining why it's problematic.
>
> I know that's what they always say, but I send a fax every couple of
> months for my expense report and that has worked fine for years over
> Vonage from both my old HP multi-function whateveritwas and the Brother
> MFC-9840CDW I have now.
>
> I don't recall any problems receiving either, but that's very rare, if
> ever, so...
>
> IIRC Vonage has a "fax line" feature for an extra $10/mo or something,
> but I don't have that.
>
> Later,
> JP
> JP Vossen, CISSP            |:::======|      http://bashcookbook.com/
> My Account, My Opinions     |=========|      http://www.jpsdomain.org/
> "Microsoft Tax" = the additional hardware & yearly fees for the add-on
> software required to protect Windows from its own poorly designed and
> implemented self, while the overhead incidentally flattens Moore's Law.

Casey Bralla
Chief Nerd in Residence
The NerdWorld Organisation