Bob Schwier on 21 Sep 2010 04:10:48 -0700

[PLUG] 10.04 install problems

  • From: Bob Schwier <schwepes2002@yahoo.com>
  • To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: [PLUG] 10.04 install problems
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 04:10:43 -0700 (PDT)
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.com; s=s1024; t=1285067443; bh=QkhcJdKcylrN+L/9wFd/y0KNPtiTNWPFAEOUjoJfU8g=; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=4ZHpsZvZdKGMW4s12zyaZsDoO4iMUctXgYjUVpwONeHKQeLM46e6hzbrtppbXdQ7uFHJWIThUeC/obpSHRZ7MXhpWC0UECcmJQKMPqy8jq/esOCKxr39aYosA9aKCnAuXgG7oPbSX7M6h+/VoWwZIsoWxbD+0wzoaf6A9m7AmoU=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

I recently upgraded to 10.04 and the computer forgot the parameters
for both the video and the printer.
The attempt to go into the system through the admin tools in the
GUI gave me boxes where the buttons do not work.  The machine
only admits to one video mode and does not let me install a different
one.  I have to turn on the machine by using the recovery mode
failsafe graphics button and do it  each time.
The printer says it's on line but the printer setup does not see
a printer at all.  I think that I was using drivers for an IBM
proprinter in the old set up.  The thing was a Panasonic KXP1092
but in Linux the usual Epson drivers did not work as well as the
IBM.  It is therefore on a parallel port and I wonder if the
automatic on line upgrade failed to look beyond USB.
I know that someone had a video problem previously with this
upgrade, but I couldn't find the thread when I checked through
the history files.
bs