Art Alexion on 22 Sep 2010 08:55:39 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Need Troubleshooting Advice: Disk Errors in Virtual Machines

  • From: Art Alexion <art.alexion@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Need Troubleshooting Advice: Disk Errors in Virtual Machines
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 11:54:15 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=7PRod7X4lw//XpGg1RKZrvZPTwPAUwutSdDjRV1N5To=; b=K1fU3DH8r5ZZVPGqi+7KLqQkg4IYE1BYu7mESLcx4w2peC20LWXEDVcOsNOCiuNhVE R6JYLzkRBswkaq0h+PioGSvJK8rg8BUemx6hBvV4BGdlj1oEiHmv2dd82oC0A6HWh3EW gsxXCpOLV1HIfRlSDyP7rD9KtfsMNB1VLqCYw=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 5:54 AM, Casey Bralla <MailList@nerdworld.org> wrote:
On Wednesday 22 September 2010 12:51:22 am Lee Marzke wrote:
> On 09/21/2010 08:00 PM, Casey Bralla wrote:
> > On Tuesday 21 September 2010 7:25:26 pm Lee Marzke wrote:
> >> On 09/21/2010 06:04 PM, Casey Bralla wrote:
You are probably correct.  However, upgrading is a very remote possibility.
These sites are donated to several family and friends.  I can't add RAM
without spending $ hundreds, which the family budget won't allow.

Still, even if I were completely overloading the server, I would expect to see
PERFORMANCE issues, not crashes.  In fact, performance seems pretty good.

In the world of VM, poor performance often presents itself in unexpected ways.

I may have to change the architecture as you suggested and combine several
sites on a single VM, but I was hoping to simplify (Ha!  That's working well,
isn't it?!? <grin>) my setup by giving each customer and web page/blog a
dedicated server.

We run into this problem at work a bit.  Some co-workers think they are *simplifying* things by virtualizing everything.  On smaller networks, they take a single "cheaper" server and create on it a separate VM for each server role.  Mostly, this is totally unnecessary.  What they don't think through is that instead of running those services on a single OS sharing resources, they are introducing a host layer, and multiple OS instances running concurrently on the same single piece of hardware.  Even before adding the roles to the VMs, you have a lot of overhead, so you really have to think about whether separate servers are necessary or even add anything positive.  VM technology is a great way to save money when you would definitely need separate boxes without it.  Too many people see it as a way to segregate things unnecessarily, just because they can.

I know *nothing* about apache, but if you don't need all of the VMs, ditch them.

I thought about switching to ESXi, but since BOTH VirtualBox & VMWare gave
very similar problems, there must be some other underlying cause.  Also, ESXi
seems like a $$ solution, which my CFO (Mrs Bralla) won't allow.

If I understand the curreent price structure ESXi is still free. You need a license, but you don't have to pay for it.  I defer to Lee for the definitive answer.

--
artAlexion
sent unsigned from webmail interface