Casey Bralla on 22 Sep 2010 02:54:15 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Need Troubleshooting Advice: Disk Errors in Virtual Machines

On Wednesday 22 September 2010 12:51:22 am Lee Marzke wrote:
> On 09/21/2010 08:00 PM, Casey Bralla wrote:

> 64Mb per VM ?   That seems way, way too low.    The Debian
> recommendation is 256Mb + what is needed by apache.
>
> Is there some reason you have a dozen VM's ? Shouldn't apache handle
> hundreds of websites on a single VM ?
> Can I  assume you have thousands of websites then ?

Since these are solely used for Web Servers with VERY low traffic (~20
hits/day), and I don't do any X-windows, it can actually run in 32 MBytes.
The swap usage of the VMs seems minimal.

> If you really have that many VM's  you may need to re-think your
> architecture somewhat.   I don't think a
> single disk system with 4GB of RAM is going to run a dozen VM's,  that
> system is barely good for 4 servers
> servers.   CPU usually doesn't matter,  it's usually memory and then
> disk I/O that are the issue.      Here
> I have a dual socket dual-core Opteron 265 SuperMicro MB,  with 12GB
> RAM,  running ESXi 4.0

You are probably correct.  However, upgrading is a very remote possibility.
These sites are donated to several family and friends.  I can't add RAM
without spending $ hundreds, which the family budget won't allow.

Still, even if I were completely overloading the server, I would expect to see
PERFORMANCE issues, not crashes.  In fact, performance seems pretty good.

I may have to change the architecture as you suggested and combine several
sites on a single VM, but I was hoping to simplify (Ha!  That's working well,
isn't it?!? <grin>) my setup by giving each customer and web page/blog a
dedicated server.

I thought about switching to ESXi, but since BOTH VirtualBox & VMWare gave
very similar problems, there must be some other underlying cause.  Also, ESXi
seems like a $$ solution, which my CFO (Mrs Bralla) won't allow.

> I just gave a talk Monday at VMware user group on moving to ESXi [2],
> that you might find interesting.
>

> Lee
>
> [1] http://plone.4aero.com/Members/lmarzke/thecus
>
> [2]
> http://plone.4aero.com/Members/lmarzke/vmug_esxi/moving-to-esxi-introductio
> n/presentation_view

Thanks for the suggestions!  I'll check out your presentation.

--

Casey Bralla
Chief Nerd in Residence