Chris Nehren on 27 Sep 2010 12:51:03 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Puppet vs Chef?...

On Sep 27, 2010, at 3:12 PM, JP Vossen wrote:

>> Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 12:38:58 -0400
>> From: Doug Stewart<zamoose@gmail.com>

>> An odd critique, given that description, since Ruby is the lingua
>> franca for Puppet as well. Unless you're referring to the actual
>> manifests, which use a Ruby-like grammar of Puppet Labs' own design.
>
> Yeah, I wasn't clear.  I was going off topic on the explicit "Puppet vs Chef" question.  I'm a Perl & shell script geek, so I'd prefer either of those other Ruby at all.  Nothing against Ruby except that I, personally, don't know squat about it and don't have time to learn, at the moment.  :-)  (One of these years...  Though Python is on the list before Ruby...)

If you're not hacking on the tool in question, the language it's written in is irrelevant. Sure, sandbox the PHP app for security purposes, but if it fills your needs otherwise, go with it. Unless you're just setting things up as a hobby, getting to B from A is more important--and the users of your apps couldn't care less about what language they're written in.

Disclaimer: I am a more vocal proponent of perl than you are, and my opinions on other tools range from caustic to unprintable. :) But at the end of the day I'd still go with mediawiki or chef/puppet, e.g.
--
Thanks and best regards,
Chris Nehren