[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
Re: [PLUG] Uncompressing vmlinuz to vmlinuz 2.6.33 kernel
- From: Edmond Rodriguez <email@example.com>
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: [PLUG] Uncompressing vmlinuz to vmlinuz 2.6.33 kernel
- Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 13:39:04 -0400
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=WcKCsuxOFgyoObbjVjLW3+Tn9HEuYWaJdNOJbdvriBQ=; b=jIhCzPF7D7wXaYTX50IwONevfCDGmhdCc4vte5+zcKKjyOlMkfDPhZfi9sLQgvgHZO oyxBLB4MsFI1o43wg0Vj0pJRfEVZw4XENDoB0/NZi+/QFIP2NRIWg4Ex+6tcdBt7kOLQ 2HHNZUSP2mMquzT6JUTTxqT3qyWBQlidyZjcI=
- Reply-to: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <email@example.com>
- Sender: firstname.lastname@example.org
I guess this may have something to do with my previous query. On or after, 2.6.30 , compression method changes.
On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Edmond Rodriguez <email@example.com>
I wished to try, purely by experimentation and some googling, to create a vmlinux from my vmlinuz, so as to speed up the initial linux loading. I am not sure what can be gained, but for waking up from hibernation, I thought it might be useful to cut a few seconds, if at all possible. Any comments?
I keep seeing from Google searches, that I can look for the following hex in vmlinuz and then decompress what follows using the following command, plus some other io to extract the compressed portion of vmlinuz.
od -A d -t x1 vmlinuz | grep '1f 8b 08'
But I can't find that signature in my vmlinuz.
Has that signature changed or am I off track?
Philadelphia Linux Users Group -- http://www.phillylinux.org
Announcements - http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-announce
General Discussion -- http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug