Doug Crompton on 29 Sep 2010 20:17:32 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Monitoring a remote site

After looking ay many options I decided the KISS method for this was the
best for me. All I wanted to do was receive a few values from a remote
site every 15 minutes. A simple UDP server/client in Perl is working well.
I limit the received data, check the source IP, and only allow another
connection after 5 minutes. I suppose I could miss some data using UDP but
that is not a big deal. I am looking for trends over time.

The client (remote) reads the one wire devices and sends the data to the
listening server every 15 minutes via a cron job. The server is a
backgound Perl script that writes the validated data to a file. Both
scripts are about 20 lines long.

Doug

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010, Gavin W. Burris wrote:

> I second shell scripting + ssh.  And dynamic IPs do not matter if you
> sign up for a free DynDNS.com account.
>
> On 09/24/2010 09:53 AM, michaeljdur@yahoo.com wrote:
> > I recommend writing a shell script to do what you need.
> > For connectivity you can use ssh/scp with keys.
> >
> > If you aren't very familiar with shell scripting here's a nice tutorial, with a security/monitoring focus that will give you a good idea of where to start:
> >
> > http://www.sans.org/reading_room/whitepapers/linux/linux-scripts-monitor-security_197

> --
> Gavin W. Burris
> Senior Systems Programmer