[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
Re: [PLUG] Automating actions from email
- From: Isaac Bennetch <email@example.com>
- To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: [PLUG] Automating actions from email
- Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 09:59:07 -0400
- Cc: Amul Shah <email@example.com>
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from :user-agent:mime-version:to:cc:subject:references:in-reply-to :content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=74cqk7kcG5pkhYSLJKmVLTHtcpc8SN3JqCEmW62w3ls=; b=MWovd531d3nZuwlfWLLjWNqfRElbwIygzVaOUM2FkAeMun95AJXPoRt1cCUw+OUPud PHud5k/f85plJAJK+uHLaPIiNgrAKFz7us7f2GmNDjWDbWfv/CyjBVCfyruJEJE60gow pyZo8FZj6oz4gl4bYgdZM9HoCv3sgtavyd5wM=
- Reply-to: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: email@example.com
- User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:22.214.171.124) Gecko/20100825 Thunderbird/3.1.3
On 9/30/2010 9:49 AM, Amul Shah wrote:
At work I get daily emails which I need to act on. Is there a
mechanism in any email client (I use alpine and thunderbird) that can
recognize the email and invoke a shell script or another program?
Procmail does this well. It can be intimidating to set up, but isn't
that bad and I got some good help in #plug (my .procmailrc says so in a
comment!). This is a very powerful solution and works great for me.
At the risk of incurring wrath (though you did say "in any email
client"), Apple's Mail makes this really easy.
Philadelphia Linux Users Group -- http://www.phillylinux.org
Announcements - http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-announce
General Discussion -- http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug