Asheesh Laroia on 6 Oct 2010 07:54:02 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Whois <IPaddress>

On Tue, 5 Oct 2010, Doug Crompton wrote:

Old versions of whois seemed to have no problem with looking up ip addresses - whois xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

But the latest versions, at least debian lenny, gives the error -

Unknown AS number or IP network. Please upgrade this program.

when querying an IP address. I see talk about it in a google search but no solution. Am I doing something wrong in the search or is this a bug?

Seems to work fine for me in squeeze, at least.

paulproteus@rose:~$ ls -l /usr/bin/whois
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 54936 Jul 11 11:24 /usr/bin/whois
paulproteus@rose:~$ dpkg -S /usr/bin/whois
whois: /usr/bin/whois

paulproteus@rose:~$ whois 128.151.2.1 | grep City
City:           Rochester

Seems to work okay. There are a few whois programs -- which are you using?

If a bug renders a program unusable, you could file a high severity bug against the version in lenny, and if the package maintainer agrees, the version in lenny can be upgraded.

-- Asheesh.

--
Long life is in store for you.