Doug Crompton on 6 Oct 2010 08:48:07 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Whois <IPaddress>

The version that works is :

doug@bridget:~> whois --version
Version 4.5.6.

doug@bridget:~> whois 123.123.123.123
#
# Query terms are ambiguous.  The query is assumed to be:
#     "n 123.123.123.123"
#
# Use "?" to get help.
#

#
# The following results may also be obtained via:
#
http://whois.arin.net/rest/nets;q=123.123.123.123?showDetails=true&showARIN=false
#

NetRange:       123.0.0.0 - 123.255.255.255
CIDR:           123.0.0.0/8
OriginAS:
NetName:        APNIC-123
NetHandle:      NET-123-0-0-0-1
Parent:
NetType:        Allocated to APNIC

and both

slate:/usr/local/bin # whois --version
Version 4.7.17.

and

LKG66450E:/# whois --version
Version 4.7.30.

do not work.

BUT the above example. 'whois 123.123.123.123' DOES work. It apparently is
just certain IP address ranges. Like:

slate:/usr/local/bin # whois 108.25.107.40
Unknown AS number or IP network. Please upgrade this program.

So it might be a lookup configuration problem. This last one is a valid US
Verizon assigned IP address. The fact that the older whois version finds
and identifies the address would indicate that the data is available and
that whois is just not finding it.

Doug

On Wed, 6 Oct 2010, Asheesh Laroia wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Oct 2010, Doug Crompton wrote:
>
> > Old versions of whois seemed to have no problem with looking up ip
> > addresses - whois xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> >
> > But the latest versions, at least debian lenny, gives the error -
> >
> > Unknown AS number or IP network. Please upgrade this program.
> >
> > when querying an IP address. I see talk about it in a google search but
> > no solution. Am I doing something wrong in the search or is this a bug?
>
> Seems to work fine for me in squeeze, at least.
>
> paulproteus@rose:~$ ls -l /usr/bin/whois
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 54936 Jul 11 11:24 /usr/bin/whois
> paulproteus@rose:~$ dpkg -S /usr/bin/whois
> whois: /usr/bin/whois
>
> paulproteus@rose:~$ whois 128.151.2.1 | grep City
> City:           Rochester
>
> Seems to work okay. There are a few whois programs -- which are you using?
>
> If a bug renders a program unusable, you could file a high severity bug
> against the version in lenny, and if the package maintainer agrees, the
> version in lenny can be upgraded.
>
> -- Asheesh.
>
> --
> Long life is in store for you.

"Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *
* doug@crompton.com        *