JP Vossen on 9 Oct 2010 12:11:40 -0700

Re: [PLUG] CentOS 5 on>2TB disks

Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2010 14:56:31 -0400
From: Lee Marzke<lee@marzke.net>

FYI,

Many manufactures are now putting VMware ESXi ( embeded version ) on
a 1GB USB thumb drive (internal) [1] to an OEM purchased servers
instead of the traditional RAID1 2 disk array.   VMware recommends
not using internal disks for ESXi ! - boot either from USB or SAN.

Yeah, I remember you talking about that, which is why I was looking for such an option on the R710's we're using. But I don't want ESXi, I just need the "drive" for the base OS. Such an option was not jumping out at me on Dell's configurator, but as we all know Dell's site is cumbersome to navigate at best, and you get very different options depending on your location and entry-point, which I find intensely annoying since that makes it very hard to compare Dell apples to Dell apples.

If I could get an inexpensive internal, "factory," USB/CF/whatever of at least 1G (2G would be better), that would be about perfect. Even better if I could retro-fit a kit to existing servers. I don't know how many I already have in the field, but I'm guessing more than 100.

Thanks,
JP