Michael Bevilacqua on 9 Oct 2010 14:23:44 -0700

Re: [PLUG] CLI goodies

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 6:17 PM, jeff <jeffv@op.net> wrote:
On 10/08/2010 07:46 AM, Michael Bevilacqua wrote:
I have used ecasound for over five years and it's an excellent program
for doing big audio processing in a minimal environment. Good stuff.

what are you doing with it
just curious.

Hey Jeff,

I use it for looping very large (high quality) audio files with slight variances in the loop times. This creates a textural ambiance I can then use to improvise over, multi-track in, or just sample for the next mix. And with the ability to easily script together a track, I can trigger any assortment of textures at the touch of a key. The other great thing is there is no GUI, no X, nothing in the way to allow me to layer as many tracks as my hardware can handle. Where you can roll your own kernel and make a machine dedicated to such tasks in a very minimal environment. Gentoo fans will appreciate this.

--
Michael D. Bevilacqua
michael@bevilacqua.us