[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
Re: [PLUG] Networking Cat5e cable question....
- From: Mike Sheinberg <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [PLUG] Networking Cat5e cable question....
- Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 10:38:34 -0400
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=QAyJ3yhf6/Y4yYe2eailJYSFsXaRUTfGWgCQ7+LmBAo=; b=MdtZEtR3bxtBJY5Ve+7eQ96nJfQ0okvnaZffhaSC6AtBrcWBpAl3kWgK3jiPT4px2Y QHwjZwxVeVBJWAXufhK68wWvTzOiI3urHyrdkNC8/TyiTeYpuz+zlwKrQsje2FqgmJnR WZDbs1FSqjF4DI9+BiazphjeAPvkhDpwgFu6U=
- Reply-to: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: email@example.com
Thanks for everyone that pitched in on this topic.
I think the problem was I was nicking the inner wire insulation. This didn't seem to affect connectivity on my regular cat5 wires but the cat5e we have are definitely more sensitive. Though I'm sure I may want to go back and double check my old wires now...D'OH!
@Mike Leone -- yeah, I'm just gonna start buying a crap load of cables instead :) It seems a lot cheaper especially since I need to do a big cat5 --> cat5e upgrade and want to make sure I don't introduce any weird problems into the mix.
Anyways, I guess I'll keep practicing on the side as well. Definitely a craftsmanship issue though :P
On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 10:13 AM, Jonathan Simpson <firstname.lastname@example.org>
I'll buy short lengths (20 feet and under), but for the longer specialized runs I need sometimes it's just worth it to DIY. Especially if you already have the tools :)
On 10/11/2010 10:11 AM, Mike Leone wrote:
On 10/11/2010 10:08 AM, Eric Hidle wrote:
Here are some things I've learned over the years about making cable, and
some ways I try to ensure I don't screw it up:
Here's what I do ...
I buy them. It's cheaper than spending my time making cables, and having to re-make, in case I screw it up. YMMV
Philadelphia Linux Users Group -- http://www.phillylinux.org
Announcements - http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-announce
General Discussion -- http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug