michaeljdur@yahoo.com on 4 Oct 2010 14:56:35 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Networking Cat5e cable question....

  • From: "michaeljdur@yahoo.com" <michaeljdur@yahoo.com>
  • To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Networking Cat5e cable question....
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 14:56:30 -0700 (PDT)
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.com; s=s1024; t=1286229390; bh=rDgruKHQysm9mW2p74Q3f4QPNdogiF7ueQj+Jk3qGrQ=; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=j8R09UzXaWc8YQ46Rl9NTstPGBxh97dBAJTaLJFeawmxKj8H/4efzWKIT852vncLFTDvpmIdb3RhTHjCZIG/4Yu6azLbRrBTkXK+iKreQK13FaKdw0sHPJf3a/8YTnSa8P4+Qy7sCt7E6LnVlxQcfBI+Om6NTrVApjLtrUrMNpw=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

I've found some cable is more or less difficult to deal with.
Have you tried a different crimper?
Have you had someone else try to make a cable with this stuff?

Here are some problems I've witnessed with fabrication technique:

Are you using a standard wiring pinout like EIA/TIA-568a/b?  The cables will be unreliable and lose integrity over distance if you use a funky pinout.  The twists in UTP are important.

When you remove the outer sheath from the cable are you nipping any of the twisted pairs?  This happens a lot if you use the razor on the crimping tool to remove the pvc sheath.  It's ok to do that, but if you're using this method use the pull string in the cable to expose the amount of undisturbed wire you want to work with and cut off from where you originally cut the sheath and above.  A better way is to get a pair of contractor scissors (I prefer Klein 2100-7) that have a handy notch for removing the sheath like a hot knife through butter.

Once you've arranged the wires trim them relatively straight, and to a length that will allow the connector to bite the sheath when you crimp it.  Straightness will help you make sure each wire is making contact at the end of the cable where it needs to.  If the sheath isn't in the connector doing anything with the cable can pull a wire loose.

Best of luck!