Drew Lehman on 4 Oct 2010 16:18:35 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Networking Cat5e cable question....

This is usually due to the line being too long and/or a bad connector
that puts it out of spec.  The line tester simply shows you that the
conenction goes through; it does not test for resistance.  If the line
is too long or you are out of spec (running parallel to a power line,
too much line being non-twisted, kink in the line etc) you can still get
a good test light but you will loose data.  The specification for
distance is 100 meters (328 feet).  If you are trying to use all 1000
feet in the run it will not work unless you break it up and use repeaters.