Richard Freeman on 20 Oct 2010 11:28:46 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Serial & parallel ports; lack thereof

On 10/20/2010 09:15 AM, Art Alexion wrote:
> The problem isn't just real time, but we have a number of switches
> that can only be configured via a serial connection. And it is much
> more cumbersome to do this via desktops and servers than a laptop we
> can carry to the rack mounted switch.

For this problem at least a $5 USB RS232 interface probably would work.
 I'm using two of them on my linux mythtv backend to control tuners.
The only trick with more than one is making sure they get consistent
device nodes - I had to hack my udev setup so that they get a symlink if
they are plugged into a particular physical port.  Simple devices like
these rarely expose a GUID of any kind.

Rich