Fred Stluka on 20 Nov 2010 15:39:19 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Command-Line Tools You've Never Heard Of

PLUG,

Here are my notes from Chris' excellent talk:

 - Linux commands:
   - Core (pre-installed)
     - Text processing
       - column
         - Format data into columns
       - jot (BSD), seq (Linux)
         - Generate random or sequential values
       - tee
         - sudo tee to have a privileged part of the pipe
       - strings
         - Search a binary file for embedded strings
         - Search an executable for the string name of an env var it uses
       - tr
         - Translate one set of chars to another
       - fmt
         - Wrap at word boundaries
       - fold
         - Wrap at char (not word boundaries)
       - nl
         - Line numbering
       - look
         - Simple spell check, finds words that start with this prefix
       - col
         - Strip out backspaces, overstrikes, tabs, etc.
       - iconv
         - Char encoding conversion utility (Latin, UTF-8, etc.)
     - Debugging
       - dtruss, like Mac strace, uses dtrace
       - strace
       - lsof
         - List open files and ports
         - I've used this to find out what program listening to a
           specific port number
       - sockstat (BSD)
       - netstat
         - netstat -ntap
           - To see process names (like lsof)
       - script
         - Records terminal session to a file "typescript"
         - Filter typescript with col to get rid of backspaces
       - ldd
         - Look up dynamic libs needed by an EXE
         - On Mac, use:   otool -L
       - otool
         - objdump for Mac
       - stty
         - stty reset
         - stty ^V^H
       - SIGINFO
         - Ctrl-T to see what a long running process is doing right now
           (like VMS).
       - ipcs
         - System V interprocess communication facilities status
           (queues, semaphores, shared mem, etc.)
       - ipcrm
         - Remove System V interprocess communication facilities status
           (queues, semaphores, shared mem, etc.)
     - Scripting / Advanced Usage
       - apply
         - Inverse of xargs
         - See also xapply
       - watch (BSD)
         - Snoop on a TTY (useful for support, tutoring)
       - watch (Linux)
         - Do a command periodically (like my loop and sloop scripts)
       - open (Mac)
       - kopen, xdg-open (Linux)
       - start (Windows)
       - dscacheutil (Mac)
       - rndcflush (Linux, for bind)
       - osascript (Mac, AppleScript)
       - defaults
       - diskutil
       - whereis
   - noncore (may not be installed)
      - Networking
        - nc (netcat)
          - Like socat, writes file to socket
          - Can listen to socket also
        - pv
          - Speed of a pipe, estimated time of data transfer completion
        - iftop
          - Top bandwidth users
          - His IRC client is irssi
        - nethogs
        - lftp
          - "Best command line FTP client ever", good at resuming, etc.
        - elinks
     - Security
       - keychain
     - File processing
       - zipinfo
 - Unix Rosetta Stone
   - Good web site to look up corresponding commands from one dialect to
     another.
 - andLinux
   - Real Linux on Windows, etc.  Can run native Linux apps, unlike Cygwin.
   - http://andLinux.org

For more info about all of these commands, use the "man" command.
Also, see the other help commands (man, apropos, whatis, info,
whereis, which, where, whence, type, find, locate) described at:
   http://bristle.com/Tips/Unix.htm#help

Enjoy!

--Fred
Fred Stluka -- mailto:fred@bristle.com -- http://bristle.com/~fred/
Bristle Software, Inc -- http://bristle.com -- Glad to be of service!
Open Source: Without walls and fences, we need no Windows or Gates.