Matt Mossholder on 6 Dec 2010 07:58:28 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Proxy settings in Linux

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Edmond Rodriguez <erodrig97.list@gmail.com> wrote:
I am sometimes switching from one internet provider to another.
Usually this is easy to do, and all the applications I am using don't
know the difference because the basic network settings remain the
same.

But when I go to a service that requires a proxy, I have to modify
settings in all my applications to use that proxy, then return the
settings back when I go back to a service that uses no proxy.

How can I just change one setting and have all the applications
continue just as they were (without reseting options, without
restarting them, etc...)? ÂIf they were running with providerA, and I
switch to providerB (requiring a proxy *manually* configured), they
will just keep running and working without any intervention.

I guess what I am looking for is a easy way to make the proxy happen
(and quickly changeable) downstream/upstream from the application (no
restarts), so the application knows no difference, and I change it
only in one place.

Something tells me I am going to get a really obvious simple answer?

Yep... really obvious, simple answer: There is no way to meet all of your requirements. Apps that utilize the *_proxy environment variables will need to be restarted. Many apps like firefox, chrome, etc. can be switched "live" but don't have a common method of switching them, and may not be switchable via an external program. Unfortunately, it just doesn't work in a way conducive to switching in the manner you would like.

I'd love to be proven wrong, however. Proxy settings in Linux is definitely an area that could use some love.

ÂÂ Â --Matt