Antonio Angelotti on 6 Dec 2010 07:59:04 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Proxy settings in Linux

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 4:48 PM, Doug Stewart <zamoose@gmail.com> wrote:
Depends on whether apps respect http_proxy, https_proxy and ftp_proxy
environment settings. I'd start there.

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Edmond Rodriguez
<erodrig97.list@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am sometimes switching from one internet provider to another.
> Usually this is easy to do, and all the applications I am using don't
> know the difference because the basic network settings remain the
> same.
>
> But when I go to a service that requires a proxy, I have to modify
> settings in all my applications to use that proxy, then return the
> settings back when I go back to a service that uses no proxy.
>
> How can I just change one setting and have all the applications
> continue just as they were (without reseting options, without
> restarting them, etc...)?  If they were running with providerA, and I
> switch to providerB (requiring a proxy *manually* configured), they
> will just keep running and working without any intervention.
>
> I guess what I am looking for is a easy way to make the proxy happen
> (and quickly changeable) downstream/upstream from the application (no
> restarts), so the application knows no difference, and I change it
> only in one place.
>
> Something tells me I am going to get a really obvious simple answer?

Hi edmond;
Do you want to use the shell or GUI application?
For example in GUI application (gnome) on System ->Preference
Click on Network proxy and there you can use:
- direct internet connection
- Manual proxy connection
- Automatic proxy connection
The click on apply System wide..