Edmond Rodriguez on 8 Dec 2010 10:02:30 -0800

[PLUG] Freezer trick

Picking up on an earlier post:

I have an old Maxtor 7213AI 212MB drive that won't spin.  I tried the
freezer trick (one hour), did not help.

I later opened the case (took the unknown risk) to make sure the
platter was able to spin (not stuck).  It could spin.  Not sure if I
ruined the drive by opening it.
Did I ruin it by opening it?  Loss of vacuum (I don't think it was in
a vacuum, doesn't seem sealed well enough for that).

I am thinking about the overnight freezer trick, but having opened it,
will that introduce condensation inside that I may not have otherwise
had to deal with?

Only other option I am thinking is to try and replace the control
board.  Wow on ebay, when I looked a few months ago, these things are
quite expensive (they are after all only 212MB), but I guess they see
me coming.

Edmond