JP Vossen on 8 Dec 2010 13:17:59 -0800

Re: [PLUG] External drive casing for EIDE HD

Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 10:34:00 -0500
From: Carl Johnson<cjohnson19791979@gmail.com>

You might also just try using a SATA>IDE adapter.;-)

The OP didn't provide enough info.

+1 for that, it'll be faster than USB, if in use for long-term.

OP's "...to reuse the 300 GB drive from my old PC." implies long-term use. But I wonder about that--why bother? Why continue to use an old (thus arguably more prone to failure), small, slow drive when any new PC will usually have tons more, faster space? Just copy the data over and be done with it, in which case USB vs. IDE (AKA EIDE/ATA/PATA)-->SATA speed doesn't matter.

1+ for a dual IDE *and* SATA USB enclosure! I bought one of these and I can't tell you how many times it's saved a ton and work and/or neighbor's data. Well worth it.

I got this one for ~$20, but that one is now way old and discontinued:
 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817388006

Looks like that's replaced by this one, which claims to support only up to 500G (as mine claims, but I've never tested that):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817388014

Or this virtually identical one, down to the same little screwdriver I got with mine above, and a reviewer claims to be using it with a "1.5 tb drive"):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817801061

Or poke around.  Hopefully this link will take you to:
    Home. >
    Computer Hardware0_. >
    Computer Cases1_. >
    External Enclosures2_. (x) >
    Price : $10 - $253_. (x) >
    Size : 3.5"4_. (x) >
    Internal Interface : SATA & IDE (x)
     (1-5 of 5 Results)"
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007705%204093%20600006254%20600006270&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=RATING&PageSize=20

But I can't stress enough how useful a dual IDE+SATA usb enclosure like this is! I'm using mine *right now* to copy data from my old Ubuntu 8.04 32-bit VMware Workstation 5.x drive to my new mirrored Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit VMware Workstation 7.x drive(s)... :-)

I also used it to recover data + pics from a neighbor's semi-dead Windows PC last week. Funny OT, NerdTeam (or whatever group she called) told her it was a bad video card on a Dell Optiplex something-or-other and that it was $80 for a new one. The only problem is, it wasn't a bad video card, it was a corrupt BIOS or CMOS. Power off, remove motherboard battery, and re-seat cables fixed it right up. Second, a new PCI video card is more like $10 for the low-end stuff she does. Figures...

Later,
JP