Edmond Rodriguez on 11 Dec 2010 11:55:47 -0800

[PLUG] slapt-get and curl

Are there any slapt-get users out there, or otherwise curl experts?

slapt-get I am fairly certain uses curl to download files.

Often a download will hang at some point.  For example, a download is
happening and at 43% it just stops and stalls.   But the curl does not
time out on a maximum idle time sort of timeout.

Now wget (but not using it) has some options one can put in the
command line or .wgetrc to specify maximum times allowed for no data
streaming during a download.

Curl I think has a similar thing (when running "curl"), but using
libcurl, the curl utilities take their options via function calls from
the program using it.

So what I am trying to do is find a way to specify options without
having to recompile the source code that uses libcurl.    Though not
documented, I tried making a ~/.curlrc (that works for curl, but not
libcurl calls), and I also just trial and error tried a
/etc/curlrc/.curlrc (which does nothing).

So is there any way I can get libcurl to use options (specified
externally of the program using libcurl) such as "max-time" and others
to cause the download to get aborted and restarted/continued?