Gordon Dexter on 12 Dec 2010 17:50:40 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Comcast Cable modem & DHCP

My Linksys WRT54G has a wall wart rated for 12V,1000mA output, meaning 12 watts.  I haven't used my Kill-a-Watt on it recently enough to remember exactly, but it was definitely no more than 15 watts.

A new Atom box would probably draw 20 or 30 based on some Googling.  Probably more if you have extra disks in it.  Actually, my i7-860 system only draws 60 when idle.  You should really check, because the results can be surprising: I have an old P4 that draws 60 idle and a dual Xeon that draws 95 or so, but meanwhile an Athalon XP 2500 from the same era drew over 160.

A very rough rule of thumb: A device that is on 24/7/52 and draws on average N watts will cost you $N per year.  For more precise figures, the Kill-a-Watt has a "cumulative KWH" option that you can multiply by your cost/KWH etc.  It's really a pretty nifty gadget, for example it told me how much my window AC was costing (answer: a lot).  The only drawback: I find myself disappointed that I can't use it to measure heavier appliances like my water heater or oven.

--Gordon