Richard Freeman on 12 Dec 2010 15:36:16 -0800

Re: [PLUG] 3-way data mirror?

On 12/12/2010 10:54 AM, K.S. Bhaskar wrote:
> Might an OpenAFS file system (http://openafsorg <http://openafs.org>) be
> an option?  Perhaps with SELinux used to disable updates at COLO that
> are not replicated from Lab1 and Lab2?

I had tried dabbling with openafs some time ago.  I think it is
read-only if the master repository for any particular set of files is
not accessible.  So, you need a master online at all times.  However, it
is distributed which speeds file reads, and it provides redundancy.

Also - it seems like it isn't really well-maintained unless something
has changed.  There are a TON of docs for it - but it seems like it was
a project that got intense attention and then just was dropped.

However, I haven't touched it in maybe two years so perhaps something
has chanted.  If OpenAFS is active again it is the sort of thing that
would certainly be worth a PLUG talk.

Rich