Rich Freeman on 22 Dec 2010 17:33:13 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Not getting copies of my posted messages back

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 7:42 PM, Edmond Rodriguez <erodrig97.list@gmail.com> wrote:
Since changing my email to a gmail account, I no longer get a copy of
my own posted message like I used to.   The setting to the option I
show below is set to "yes", but I still don't get a copy (I used to
get my own copies with a yahoo account I had used).

So, I see my replies in context with gmail, but that could be because it is saving it as it is being sent and not as it is being received.  I also have a somewhat convoluted mail setup - my from address is not gmail, and the MX for my domain isn't gmail, but my mailserver redirects a copy of all mail it receives for me back to gmail.

It almost sounds to me like Gmail is discarding duplicate message IDs - I do this on my mailserver using a procmail recipe so that if somebody CCs 5 of my email addresses on a message I only get it once.  If they discard duplicates and consider the sent copy a duplicate then they wouldn't keep the echos from the listserv.

That's just a theory - I've only been using gmail for a few days.  Since gmail treats email like a database it wouldn't surprise me if they filter duplicate message IDs.