Rich Freeman on 26 Dec 2010 13:08:10 -0800
[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
Re: [PLUG] Is there a trick to install just the manpages out of a package?
- From: Rich Freeman <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [PLUG] Is there a trick to install just the manpages out of a package?
- Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2010 16:08:04 -0500
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:sender:received :in-reply-to:references:date:x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject :from:to:content-type; bh=FFDMG7EsfGGj8ZyE1fKnwO9wAxriQaa2JsW9myIFd3M=; b=QFjLrcs6xAJUZPGMBG4mZx+0KQWMltYMIuEhCz7W1v+/OlP2ExfYZUUUyStC50kskT p+BgXzsIkcGRdSxqsf7vn4ZXRMJynMQQybAPlUj6ooIJyXEX11jJqUWWon65ydGoLt9H H30ziDEnnka8DbgZCm4WrGkOOkpuJidbiI8/k=
- Reply-to: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: email@example.com
On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 2:28 PM, JP Vossen <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
d) You could unzip them someplace else, then create an 'lman' (local man' alias or script to find and read the files. Trivial, untested example: man -l -Tdvi /opt/man/man1/xterm.1.gz
I was just thinking - I would think that most distros would include /usr/local/man in their manpath, and this path should not be in conflict with the package manager, per FHS.
Hmm, looking at Gentoo, it seems that the local manpages are in /usr/local/share/man, which actually doesn't agree with FHS, though it seems like FHS is a bit odd in this respect since the non-local manpages are supposed to be in /usr/share/man. Oh well...
Philadelphia Linux Users Group -- http://www.phillylinux.org
Announcements - http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-announce
General Discussion -- http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug