Edmond Rodriguez on 28 Dec 2010 13:03:40 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Old IDE drive on USB enclosure with Linux

I just tried removing the jumper, same problem.

Also curious that a newer version of Kubuntu (on the same older
machine with internal ide cable) says it's unreadable (trying to
access with /dev/sdb.....

But an old Slackware install I have preserved is perfectly fine with
the disk.  (using /dev/hdb......).

Since I am now using Grub on that old machine (installed by the
Kubuntu installer), I do not see any hard drive parameters set up
(like n cynlinders, n heads, etc...), but the slackware (kernel
2.4.22) seems to know how to deal with it..

Could this be a difference between the/dev/hd and the /dev/sd style of
accessing the disk?